What is your name and what city do you rep?
- My name is Jerome Allen and I’m from Blackwood a small town in South Jersey.
Tell us about your latest releases, what inspired you to create them?
- My latest releases have been new versions of previous projects I dropped in the past. The inspiration was just being 100% happy with the product instead of being just ok with it. I use to settle a lot for getting something done in the studio and feeling like ok I have to drop this because it’s done. Now I’m just living with the music and what ever adjustments I want to make I act on it. One of the best parts about this era is that you can always adjust your music in real time. That’s such a luxury I hope everyone is taking advantage of.
What is unique about you and your music?
- My music is unique because I’m able to really speaking to you from a real perspective. I’m not the “fake it till you make it rapper”. The stories I tell are very reliable. Not everybody grows up in New York or Compton or Atlanta. It’s a lot of people that live in unknown towns and my music is speaking for them. Like I’m not going to rap about buying 2 chains, I’m going to rap about why I haven’t had a hair cut in 2 months and make it hot enough to where you can play that jawn the whole car ride to your hair cut appointment. I’m unique because I have a good soul, like a really good soul you know, like I’m not into any weird vibes. I want the best for everybody.
What shaped your music?
- Just being a real student of the game taking things from the greats like Nas, Ye, Michael, Jay, Nipsey. Using their careers as a template almost and just adding your spin to it. But also my heart I can’t write anything my heart doesn’t feel and as new experiences in life keep happening, my music will involve as well.
When did you realize you were going to make music professionally?
- I honestly never wanted to be anything else. Ever since I was a little boy I wanted to be a rapper. But I would say I knew I could make it to the next level around high school maybe 15-16. The gap between me and my peers was showing and my fan base was growing steadily.
What type of music do you listen to?
- I have a decent music range. I listen to closely every genre of music but my go to is R&B definitely any era too put me right in my bag frfr.
What inspires you to write music?
- Honestly everything. I want to provide better life for my family so that’s always a big motivational factor. I also want to prove to myself that I can stay in a zone and that I belong to be mention with the best. Other inspirations come from watching normal everyday people thrive on their field of work. Wether it’s high school kids like DJ Wagner or Daniel Skillings go out and kill their competition every night and get D1’s offers and just put on for South Jersey. To people I know starting business, getting married, starting families, basketball arguments at the gym, to stories I read online. It really can be anything I can connect with. My music is like a daily journal so I take mental notes of everything good or bad.
What do you do when you don’t do music (creative or otherwise) and that you are passionate about?
- I play basketball a lot, for me it’s the best way to disconnect from the world. I can kinda take out any frustration and just be done with it for the day. I’m also very passionate about learning so I’m always always watching or reading something about something lol. It doesn’t matter what it is either. From Black history to the deadliest animals in the world I just like to fill my brain up with something.
Happiness to you is…
- Comfortably. People tend to focus on stability instead being comfortable and to me that’s how you just caught in a cycle. I want to be able to enjoy my work space and my partner and my environment. Not have to deal with miserable all day.
What do you wish you were told when you first started making music that you think would help artists just starting out now?
- Music is a business 1st. So just be yourself make music you love to make and stay with a core group of people that you trust. People will manipulate you and do what ever to finesse. So just read your paperwork and follow your heart.
Tell us about your upcoming projects…
- I’m like a mad scientist always searching for the perfect project but, I want to definitely drop like 2-3 eps this year we’ll see how much I get done but that’s what I’m aiming for.
Where do we find you music / music projects?
- You can find my music on all streaming platforms as well as iTunes for purchase. Also I’m always dropping content on my Instagram JeromeAllen_ so make sure you follow me and stay in the loop. I’m still pretty bad at social media but I’m learning.
Any last words for the readers?
- Always always follow your heart. Don’t give up on love or life. There’s something and someone out there for you. We have one life on this earth so Be mindful of that and take it by storm.